Saturday, November 3, 2012

Small Things Matter A Lot

On a fine rainy day morning, I woke up without having the slightest intention of going to my college. My parents won’t allow me to bunk college unnecessarily. So, did all my morning chores and was getting ready to college. The rain didn’t seem to stop. It was at its best. Swaying off the trees, washing off few houses and bursting out few transformers here and there.

With a heavy heart, I stepped out of the house with my umbrella, college bag, lunch bag, chart box and a drafter(During my First semester so had to carry those engineering drawing stuff more often).  The water seemed to flood the roads and hiding their pits so that it would be easy for anyone to topple or fall down and get bruises free of cost. Took my every step so carefully as it comes in some Indiana Jones and similar kind of movies.

 Reached my bus stand. Crowd seemed to be lesser than the other days. The straight bus to my college (Those who have read my ‘OMG Missed the bus’ blog would know how it is.) as usual, was not on time. So, I got into another bus thinking to get another bus to college or an auto. There were many people standing and many seats were empty and wet. Only a few managed to wipe it off and sat down. I was being one among them.

By now I was partially wet, below my thighs. I kept cursing the college management for not announcing a holiday on such rainy day. After that, I felt comfortable and looked out of the window. Water… water… everywhere. By then, I got some news about holiday for schools and some colleges. I wondered why it wasn’t for us. (Cursed ones.)

I got down at a bus stop with no shelter and which is about 5 kms from my college. Also came to know from people around there that the buses won’t be available for half a day there. So, “NATARAJA” service was the best option available. I laughed at myself carrying a lot of things as if vacating a room or something. The rain hadn’t stopped. My umbrella was my only hope.

Hardly, I walked about a km when my bag(overloaded) fell down from my shoulders. While taking it, my umbrella was carried by the wind letting me to drench almost. Second bath for the day, done. Somehow, managed to get hold of it. I absolutely awesome then. Two bags, a drafter and a chart box on one hand and Umbrella on the other. Perfect. The wind and the rain won’t spare me although I was almost drenched. The umbrella had its dancing well in the wind. My hands were very paining.

There were no vehicles on the road to get a lift. Even if there were I was not in a condition to stretch out my hands and ask for a lift. With great difficulties I managed to ask lifts but their reactions were negative. Left with no choice continued my walking. I started cursing everything and everyone. The rain for its splendid job done to me, college management for building the college in an remote area, parents who gave me the idea of joining this college, the MTC bus, the vehicles that didn’t stop etc… etc…

I could have prevented this situation if I would have done something very small. I knew about the condition of bag few days before and expected it would tear one or the other day. Had I got it repaired for some Rs. 5 or Rs. 10, I would not have faced such a bad day. This is what they call, “A stitch in time saves Nine.” Really, small things matter a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment